UNICEF expresses its "concern" over the killing of children by an attack in Sa'dah

UNICEF expresses its "concern" over the killing of children by an attack in Sa'dah

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Thursday expressed serious concern over the killing of a child by an attack in Sa'ada governorate, northern Yemen.

"We are very concerned about the initial reports of the deaths of children in the Yemeni Sa'ada," said the organization's representative in Yemen, Mirchil Ryano, in her official Twitter account.

"Our teams are verifying the number of dead and wounded children as a result of the attack."

The UN official stressed that children were "not targets in conflict."

She had "seen horror pictures and video clips, presented from Sa'dah."

"I have no words but to ask," she said. How this was a military target? Why are the children killed? "

Earlier in the day, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) announced the killing and wounding of dozens of children in an attack on a bus carrying babies in the province of Dhahyan in Sa'dah Governorate.

Al-Houthi's spokesman, Mohammed Abdel Salam, accused the Saudi-led Arab coalition of being behind the incident.

39 people were killed, and 51 others injured as an infinite toll of the bus-targeting incident in the middle of the Dhahayan-Sa'ada market, according to the group's Ministry of Health ,Houthis  Almasirah channel said.

For his part, the spokesman for the Arab Coalition, Col. Turki al-Maliki, confirmed that the targeting made today in Sa'ada Governorate was a legitimate military action.

He added that the military action targeted "the elements who planned and carried out the targeting of civilians last night in Jizan city and killed and wounded civilians."

Al-Maliki asserted that the targeting was carried out "in conformity with international humanitarian law and its customary rules".


Share


Print Send