A source in the Yemeni government denies progress in the implementation of the redeployment in Hodeidah

A source in the Yemeni government denies progress in the implementation of the redeployment in Hodeidah


A government source at the Redeployment Committee  in Hodeidah Province (western Yemen) said Tuesday evening that no progress had been made in the implementation of the first phase of the redeployment, which was due to take place in late February.

The UN envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, said in a statement a few hours ago that "after constructive discussions with the parties (the Yemeni government and the Houthis), there is tangible progress towards agreeing to implement the first phase of the redeployment in accordance with the Hodeidah agreement."

But the source, a member of the government- Redeployment committee, told the "Al-Masdar online " that negotiations with the Houthi side have been stalled for weeks.

"Since we agreed to the first phase, implementation is by the Houthi militia, which refuse to implement the agreement and withdraw from the ports and confrontation areas," he said.

"This is our position to date and it has not changed, but we note that the position of the UN envoy and the Chairman of the Redeployment Committee, General Michael Lolisgaard, is retreating in pressuring Houthis, but every time we respond to the meetings they call us for and are ready to implement everything we have agreed on," he said.

On Monday, a member of the Yemeni government in Sweden's consultations, Askar Zu’eel tweeted on his Twitter account that the Houthis had prevented Lolisgaard from visiting Ras Isa oil port (north of Hodeidah).

In February, the United Nations announced the approval of the Yemeni parties to implement the first phase of the redeployment in Hodeidah.

This phase provides for the withdrawal of the Houthis from the ports of Hodeidah, Al-Saleef and Ras Issa in the west of the country, in exchange for the withdrawal of government troops from the eastern suburbs.


Share


Print Send